To maximize the use of floating shelves, display decorative and functional items such as books, plants, and framed photos. Floating shelves are a great way to add visual interest and storage space to any room in a home or office.
To make the most out of your floating shelves, it’s important to think carefully about what items to display on them. While floating shelves offer a certain level of versatility, there are some items that work better than others. As a general rule of thumb, it’s best to use a combination of decorative and functional objects to strike a balance between visual appeal and practicality. Consider items like books, plants, picture frames, and decorative objects like vases or sculptures to create a stylish and functional display. The key is to arrange the items in a way that looks intentional and visually appealing, rather than cluttered or disorganized.
Choosing The Right Items For Your Floating Shelves
Utilizing The Rule Of Thirds In Design To Balance Your Shelves
One of the essential factors to consider when styling your floating shelves is the principle of the rule of thirds. This design principle involves dividing any visual display into three sections, both horizontally and vertically, creating an imaginary grid with nine squares.
This grid’s intersection points are points of interest, where you should place the most eye-catching items.
When styling your floating shelves, keep the following points in mind:
- Divide your shelves into three parts, both vertically and horizontally, to create nine squares.
- Use the intersections of these squares to showcase your most visually appealing items.
- Try to alternate different sizes and shapes of the displayed items across the nine square grid to achieve balance.
Displaying Items With Different Heights And Textures For Visual Interest
Choose items to display on your floating shelves plan that vary in height and texture. Doing this will add depth to your display, providing visual appeal to your shelves.
- Place tall or oversized items on either end of the shelf to create an anchor point
- Consider stacking books horizontally and vertically to create different heights and a sense of movement
- Display a mix of textures such as rough, smooth, shiny, and soft objects to create a visually appealing experience.
Incorporating Personal Items And Mementos
Including personal items, mementos, and cherished treasures on your floating shelves can add warmth and character to your home.
- Showcase your favorite books and collections, such as antique glassware, pottery or framed art.
- Display travel souvenirs or photographs that remind you of your favorite vacation destinations.
- Show off your personality and style by exhibiting items that represent your hobbies or interests.
Adding Plants And Greenery To Your Display
Indoor plants and greenery make great additions to your floating shelves display, bringing a fresh and natural element to space.
- Choose plants and flowers that thrive in indoor conditions and require low maintenance
- Vary plant heights to take full advantage of your vertical space
- Consider the color of foliage and flowers to add visual interest to your display. Good options for beginners include the snake plant, zz plant, and pothos.
Remember, when styling your floating shelves, there is no right or wrong way to decorate them. Keep in mind the rule of thirds and vary the height, texture, and content of the items displayed. Incorporate personal items and greenery to bring life and character to your space.
Practical Items To Use On Floating Shelves To Make Your Space Organized
Floating shelves are a great way to create more storage space while also adding some decorative flair to your home. While floating shelves offer a convenient way to store items, they can also be somewhat of an eyesore if not properly organized.
In this section, we will explore some practical items you can use on floating shelves to make your space organized.
Using Baskets And Bins To Store Items Out Of Sight
One of the best ways to make a room feel more organized is to keep clutter out of sight. Utilizing baskets and bins on floating shelves is an excellent solution for hiding away the items you don’t want on display.
- Use baskets and bins with lids to conceal items completely.
- Choose baskets and bins that match your decor for a cohesive look.
- Place labels on your baskets and bins to ensure you can find everything effortlessly.
Displaying Frequently Used Kitchen Items For Easy Access
The kitchen can be a breeding ground for clutter, especially if you have limited cabinet space. Floating shelves can provide extra room for frequently used kitchen items.
- Choose a floating shelf close to your prep area to keep your cooking essentials handy.
- Display your spices in uniform jars to create a clean and organized look.
- Add hooks underneath your floating shelves to keep utensils and dish towels off of your counter space.
Utilizing Floating Shelves In The Bathroom For Storage And Organization
Bathrooms can be relatively small spaces that lack proper storage. Floating shelves can help provide extra storage and keep your bathroom organized.
- Use small baskets or bins to store toiletries on your shelf.
- Add decorative accents like candles or small plants to create a personalized and inviting space.
- Use hooks on the bottom of your floating shelves to hang towels or robes.
Displaying Books And Magazines In An Organized And Stylish Manner
Floating shelves can be used to display your favorite books and magazines in an organized and stylish manner.
- Arrange your books by color or type to create a visually stunning display.
- Add small decorative accents like vases or small sculptures to add dimension.
- Use magazine holders to keep your magazines organized and within reach.
Using these tips and practical items to decorate your floating shelves can help you create an organized, clean, and inviting space.
Fool Proof method For Decorating Your Shelves | Home Decor Tips | Floating Shelf Decor
Decorative Items To Use On Floating Shelves To Add Visual Interest To Your Space
Decorative items to use on floating shelves to add visual interest to your space
Floating shelves are practical and stylish storage solutions that can transform the look of your home. Adding decorative pieces to your floating shelves can elevate your decor to new heights. In this section, we will cover some of the most popular decorative items to use on floating shelves to add visual interest to your space.
Using Artwork And Prints To Make A Statement
Art can be one of the most powerful and personal decorative items to use on your floating shelves.
- Choose a large painting or print that sets the tone for the room.
- Create a gallery wall with a collection of small pieces, framed the same or in different styles.
- Mix framed art with objects to add depth and dimension.
- Use shelves to display your favorite books, using their covers as a design element.
Displaying Small Sculptures And Figurines
Small sculptures and figurines can make a big statement on your floating shelves, especially when grouped together.
- Choose sculptures that complement your existing decor style and color palette.
- Group smaller pieces together for an eye-catching display.
- Take advantage of negative space by allowing some parts of the shelf to remain empty.
- Use figurines to add a touch of whimsy to your decor.
Incorporating Candles And Other Decorative Elements
Candles, vases, and other decorative elements can add texture and interest to your floating shelves.
- Choose candles in varying heights and widths to add visual interest.
- Use decorative vases to add a pop of color to your shelves.
- Incorporate greenery or flowers into your decor with small succulents or a floral arrangement.
- Use decorative bookends to create small vignettes on your shelves.
Utilizing Decorative Trays To Corral Items And Add Visual Interest
Decorative trays are a versatile and practical addition to any floating shelf.
- Use a tray to create a cohesive display of small items, such as trinkets and jewelry.
- Place a tray on the bottom of a shelf to ground the items on display.
- Use a tray as a base to display a collection of items, such as plants or books.
- Choose a tray that complements your existing decor style and color palette.
Decorating your floating shelves is an opportunity to showcase your personal style and add visual interest to your space. By using artwork, sculptures, candles, and decorative trays, you can create a unique and eye-catching display.
Diy Ideas For Creating Your Own Floating Shelves
Floating shelves are a great way to display decor, save space, and add character to any room. And while it’s easy to find floating shelves at stores, building your own allows for more customization and personalization. In this blog post, we will discuss different materials to use for diy projects, step-by-step instructions for building your own floating shelves, and tips for styling your diy shelves.
Discuss Different Materials To Use For Diy Projects
When it comes to building your own floating shelves, choosing the right materials is crucial.
- Wood: this is the most popular material for floating shelves. It’s sturdy, easy to work with, and can be painted or stained to match any decor.
- Plywood: a cheaper option than solid wood, plywood can still be stylish and functional if finished correctly.
- Metal: metal floating shelves offer a contemporary look and are ideal for industrial-style decor.
- Glass: for a sleek and modern appearance, glass is an excellent option. However, it is more fragile than other materials.
Step-By-Step Instructions For Building Your Own Floating Shelves
Building your own floating shelves is a simple and rewarding diy project.
- Measure the wall where you want to install the shelves and determine the desired shelf size.
- Cut the wood or other material to the desired size using a saw.
- Sand the board’s surface until it is smooth and wipe away any dust.
- Apply a primer coat and allow it to dry before applying a second coat.
- Once the primer is dry, paint or stain the board.
- Install the floating shelf brackets on the wall, ensuring they are level.
- Attach the board to the brackets, and you’re done!
Tips For Styling Your Diy Shelves
Once your floating shelves are installed, it’s time to decorate them.
- Alternate tall and short decor items to create visual interest.
- Mix up colors, textures, and materials for an eclectic look.
- Use similar items, such as books or vases, to create symmetry.
- Add plants for a touch of nature and greenery.
- Don’t overcrowd the shelves. Leave some blank space to prevent a cluttered look.
Creating floating shelves is a simple and fun diy project that allows you to be creative and customize your decor. By following these steps, you can build beautiful shelves that are both functional and stylish.
Frequently Asked Questions On What To Put On Floating Shelves
What Are The Best Items To Put On Floating Shelves?
A: the best items to put on floating shelves are decorative items like plants, candles, frames, and books.
How Do You Arrange Items On Floating Shelves?
A: arrange items on floating shelves with larger items on the bottom and smaller items towards the top, creating balance and symmetry.
How Do I Make My Floating Shelves Look Visually Appealing?
A: make your floating shelves look visually appealing by using items of varying heights, textures, and colors. Leave some spaces empty to give a clean and minimalist look.
Can You Put Heavy Items On Floating Shelves?
A: some floating shelves can hold heavy items like books or kitchen goods, but ensure to check the weight limit of a shelf before putting heavy items.
Floating shelves are a great way to add visual interest and storage space to any room. When styling them, consider factors such as the size and weight capacity of your shelves, the overall aesthetic of your room, and your personal style.
Don’t be afraid to mix textures, colors, and objects of varying sizes to create a dynamic look. Additionally, think outside the box and use your shelves to display items beyond just books and home décor. By following these tips and tricks, you can turn your floating shelves into both a functional and stylish focal point in your home.